LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Methodology
What is it and How it is structured in India ?
The purpose of LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® is to change the format of traditional meetings with low engagement and participation to a model where there is 100-100 participation, that is, where everyone actively participates in ideas and decision making. The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method results in more participation, more insights, more engagement, and more commitment to implementing solutions.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® is based on a set of core beliefs about leadership and organisations:
- Leaders don’t have all the answers.
- Your success depends on hearing all the voices inside the room.
- People naturally want to contribute, be part of something bigger, and take responsibility.
- Often teams work suboptimally, leaving untapped knowledge in team members.
- We live in a world that can be described as sophisticated and adaptable, allowing each member to contribute and disseminate results in more sustainable business.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is applied to:
- Unlock the potential of PEOPLE and their values.
- Develop TEAM, leadership, and interpersonal relationships.
- Develop and validate BUSINESS MODELS.
- Conduct STRATEGIC PLANNING meetings.
- Identify and define MISSION, VISION and institutional VALUES.
- Create new PRODUCTS or SERVICES.
- Analyze scenarios and look for solutions.
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®
It is a method for facilitating communication in meetings, facilitating thinking, and problem-solving ideas for individuals, teams, and organisations.
It is based on extensive research in the areas of business and strategy, organisational development, psychology, and learning, and is based on the concept of “hands-on knowledge.”
The core process of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology is structured in 4 steps:
- Facilitator poses a question.
- Each participant builds a model in response to the question. The LEGO® blocks are developed specifically for the construction of the 3D model for this application.
- Participants share their metaphorical models to tell their own story. The models serve as the basis for knowledge exchange and exploration of different points of view, problem-solving, and decision making.
- Reflection on what the participants built and shared their stories.
Why is the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® effective?
- LEGO® blocks serve to create a universal language that anyone can use, regardless of their experience, position, education, or culture. The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® method enables everyone to share their knowledge and insights.
- The initial focus of LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® is on the individual, not just the group. The structure of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® workshop requires that everyone be actively involved in the decision making and solution building processes. It increases the likelihood that each participant will feel more engaged and committed to implementing decisions and agreements after the workshop.
- LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® produces more ideas and concrete results because everyone has the same time to build their answers and ideas even before starting the conversation and sharing round.
- LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® encourages open communication and promotes deep listening among participants. Viewing 3D models, building metaphors, and stories generate interest and better retention of the content presented, which also contributes to better understanding, reducing, and filtering noise.
- LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® provides a safe and reliable environment and establishes a relationship of complicity between participants. The focus of the methodology is on the answers built with the LEGO® blocks, not on the people who answer them, which also allows for more intense discussions about the real facts and problems, minimizing personal conflicts.
More about the LEGO SERIOUS PLAY Methodology
ASSOCIATION OF MASTER TRAINERS
The official information about the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology, training program and schedule of the next classes, and list of trainers recognized by the Association, can be found at www.seriousplay.training. The website also has an exclusive area for facilitators, with up-to-date content that is often designed and developed by trainers and the community.
Principal architect and father of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology.
He was invited by the LEGO® group at the beginning of the methodology creation process. Since then, it has become primarily responsible for refining and grounding the theories and science behind the method.
Founder of Rasmussen Consulting, and since then, in addition to his role in the constant development and evolution of the methodology, he is one of the Association’s Master Trainers. It operates in Denmark, United States, Singapore, and Japan.
He worked at the LEGO® Group until joining Robert Rasmussen to jointly develop and expand the scope of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology.
He was responsible for creating the certification format in the methodology, which is still applied today.
Founder of Trivum, acts as Master Trainer in training new facilitators across Europe, Asia, and South America.
The book “Building A Better Business Using The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Method” by Robert Rasmussen and Per Kristiansen is an excellent source for anyone interested in exploring and deepening the fundamentals and sciences that underpinned the development of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology and understand the possibilities of application and real examples in which the method was applied in different organisations in the world.
The book is not a tool for learning practices and techniques for those who want to act as a facilitator. In this case, it is recommended to take a certification to become a certified facilitator of the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®methodology by the Association of Master Trainers.
COMPANIES THAT HAVE ALREADY USED LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® METHODOLOGY